You can obtain certified birth certificates at any County Clerk & Recorder's office in Montana for persons born in the State of Montana, although long forms can only be provided in the county someone was born in.
Certified birth certificates are available for $8.00 each.
- We accept cash, checks and credit cards. Credit card transactions will be charged a 3% processing fee.
Who Can Order a Birth Certificate?
Only those authorized by 50-15-121 MCA and 37.8.126 ARM, which includes the registrant (14 years old or older), the registrant’s spouse, children (with proof of relationship), parents, grandparents (with proof of relationship), a caretaker relative, guardian, an authorized representative, or those who provide documentation showing it is needed for determination or protection of the individuals personal or property rights. Proof of relationship, guardianship, caretaker relative, or authorization is required to obtain a certify copy of a birth record. Step-relatives, in-laws, aunts, uncles, cousins, ex-spouses, and a natural parent of an adoptive child are not eligible to receive a certified copy of a birth certificate.
Identification is required.
How Do I Order a Birth Certificate?
- In-Person: Birth Certificates may be obtained in-person at room 214 in the Lake County Courthouse, located at 106 4th Ave E, Polson, MT 59860. The certificate request will be processed while you are at the counter.
- Mail: Birth Certificate Applications with proper identification and payment may be mailed to the Lake County Clerk & Recorder at 106 4th Ave E, Polson, MT 59860.
- Fax: Birth Certificate Applications may be faxed to (406) 883-7283 with proper identification and payment may be processed over the phone or mailed to 106 4th Ave E, Polson, MT 59860.
- Email: Birth Certificate Applications may be emailed to email@example.com with proper identification and payment may be processed over the phone or mailed to 106 4th Ave E, Polson, MT 59860.