You can obtain death records for deaths that occurred in Lake County back to 1923. Statewide death certificates are available at any County Clerk and Recorder's office in Montana if a death occurred from 2003 forward.
Certified death certificates are available for $7.00 each and informational copies are $0.50.
- We accept cash, checks and credit cards. Credit card transactions will be charged a 3% processing fee.
Who Can Order a Death Certificate?
Complete copies of a certified death certificate will be issued to anyone who submits a completed application, establishes their identity, and lists the reason for needing the copy. If a death certificate lists the cause of death as "pending autopsy" or "pending investigation," a certified copy which has the cause of death information removed will be issued.
How Do I Order a Death Certificate?
- In-Person: Death Certificates may be obtained in-person at room 214 in the Lake County Courthouse, located at 106 4th Ave E, Polson, MT 59860. The certificate request will be processed while you are at the counter.
- Mail: Death Certificate Applications with proper identification and payment may be mailed to the Lake County Clerk & Recorder at 106 4th Ave E, Polson, MT 59860.
- Fax: Death Certificate Applications may be faxed to (406) 883-7283 with proper identification and payment may be processed over the phone or mailed to 106 4th Ave E, Polson, MT 59860.
- Email: Death Certificate Applications may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with proper identification and payment may be processed over the phone or mailed to 106 4th Ave E, Polson, MT 59860.