- Elected Offices
- Clerk & Recorder
- Death Certificates
Death Certificate Application
You can obtain death records for deaths that occurred in Lake County back to 1923. Statewide death certificates are available at any County Clerk and Recorder's office in Montana if a death occurred from 2003 forward.
Certified death certificates are available for $7.00 each and informational copies are $0.50.
- We accept cash, checks and credit cards. Credit card transactions will be charged a 3% processing fee.
Who Can Order a Death Certificate?
Complete copies of a certified death certificate will be issued to anyone who submits a completed application, establishes their identity, and lists the reason for needing the copy. If a death certificate lists the cause of death as "pending autopsy" or "pending investigation," a certified copy which has the cause of death information removed will be issued.
How Do I Order a Death Certificate?
- In-Person: Death Certificates may be obtained in-person at room 214 in the Lake County Courthouse, located at 106 4th Ave E, Polson, MT 59860. The certificate request will be processed while you are at the counter.
- Mail: Death Certificate Applications with proper identification and payment may be mailed to the Lake County Clerk & Recorder at 106 4th Ave E, Polson, MT 59860.
- Fax: Death Certificate Applications may be faxed to (406) 883-7283 with proper identification and payment may be processed over the phone or mailed to 106 4th Ave E, Polson, MT 59860.
- Email: Death Certificate Applications may be emailed to email@example.com with proper identification and payment may be processed over the phone or mailed to 106 4th Ave E, Polson, MT 59860.