The Clerk and Recorder's department records or files all public documents pertaining to property in Lake County, as well as various miscellaneous documents.
Documents are recorded as quickly as possible. The date, time, fee, and recording number are placed on the document as soon as it is presented for recording. The information is then entered daily into our computer index, scanned, and zipped to our website. Each week the original paper documents are returned to the address given when the document is recorded.
View the Fee Schedule (PDF).
A document for recording must have an original notarized signature.
Documents we record include but are not limited to :
- Bill of Sale
- Discharges from Military Services
- Court orders and Decrees
- Contract for deed
- Notices of Purchasers' Interest and similar documentation
- Assignments of Interest in Contracts for deeds
- Easements and Rights-of-Way. Does not include "deeded" rights-of-way when land is being conveyed.
- General Powers of Attorney
- Deeds of Reconveyances
- Partial Reconveyances
- Partial Releases and partial satisfaction of mortgages
- Termination of Trust Indentures and/or Deeds of Trust, etc.
- Notices of Cancellation and all documents relating thereto
- Mortgages or Trust Indentures
- Deeds of Trust
- Mortgage Extension Agreements
- Mortgage Subordination Agreements
- Assignments of Mortgages, Deeds of Trust, etc.
- Appointments of Successor Trustee
- Notices of Trustee's Sale
- Assignments of Beneficiary's interest
- Mortgage foreclosures or documents relating thereto
The filing fee for an entire document costs $5. The documents are indexed and scanned and microfilm is created for archival purposes. A filed document must have an original signature.
Documents we file include but are not limited to :
- Federal tax liens
- Mining Claims
- Financing Statements - Amendments, Continuations, Terminations, Partial Releases
- Liens - construction, mechanics, HOA, etc.
- Notice of Right to Claim a Lien
- Lien Releases
- Oil and Gas Leases
- Lis Pendens and Releases